Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sticker Charts

I'm always looking for easy ideas to help me out with my child and her behavior. Some of you may know, we struggled for about 6 months getting her potty-trained. It was very frustrating. She was potty-trained at daycare, but not at home.
My dear friend, Sarah (who is very clever), loaned us a potty chair. We had been using a seat. Almost like magic, potty time became much easier!
My mom sent me a potty training chart with an email at work. She got a sticker for each day she stayed dry. In the beginning, she rarely got a sticker. But, recently, she got it all filled up.

It took a while! We promised her that she could get a Barbie or a movie when it was all filled up. She got her last sticker on Monday. Her daddy took her to Toys R Us yesterday to go shopping. For all her hard work, she only wanted $6.99 Disney Sing-A-Long movie that was filmed in 1990. She LOVES it, though. Right now we are watching it for the 4th time. Mike said he would have gotten her a Barbie, too, but she only wanted the video.
Now, we are working on our next chart. I found a site online that had character reward sticker charts. (Sorry, I don't have a link! But, I'm sure you can find it easily with Google.) The chart is blank. I scratched the days off. We'll just fill it up as we go for how ever long it takes.
We are going to continue working on Staying Dry, Sleeping in Her Bed ALL Night, and Not Crying in the Bathtub.
I drew pictures so she could remember.

When this chart is all filled, we're going back to Monkey Joe's. She's very excited about that!
Some of you may use sticker charts already. If not, give it a try. I like the fact that Allyson had to work for something new insead of just getting it.
By the way, my current read is The New Strong-Willed Child by Dr. James Dobson. It's really helping us, too.
Happy Parenting!




2 comments:

Tabby said...

That's a good idea. I remember having sticker charts for the chores we had to do when we were kids. I'll have to try that with Isabelle when she's a little older. She loves stickers.

Susan said...

I've had many suggest using a sticker chart for potty training, its the only way my little neice became fully trained. Using a chart for other things is pretty smart! Too bad it won't work for fussing. Ha!