Monday, January 17, 2011

Just Can't Get Enough...

Lately, we've been looking for some healthy munchies to keep around the house. We've always kept cookies or candy around to munch on. It's good, but not good for us. Time to make some changes. So, here's a recipe of something we just can't get enough of lately. It's got sweet and salty. It's just right and actually has nutritional value. But, watch out! You might find your 4-year-old just picking out the M&Ms!
Homemade Trail Mix
1 large container of salted (or lightly salted) roasted peanuts
1 medium-sized box of raisins
1 medium-sized bag of plain M&Ms
In a gallon-sized ziplock bag, pour all ingredients. Close bag. Use hands to mix ingredients together through bag. Use trail mix for: school lunches and snacking on around the house. And, if you use seasonally colored M&Ms, I think it would also be a cute gift idea.
***********************************
Tonight was Monday Night for the Master. It was my turn to bring dessert for everyone. I looked through my old recipes and found one for Key Lime Cake. I got the recipe from a co-worker that I was at WRMS with. She won the bake-off with this recipe the year she brought it. I took it tonight and everyone raved! So, here's the recipe (slightly modified) from what I was given. I don't really believe in homemade frosting. I have no patience.
Key Lime Cake
Ingredients:
1 box lemon cake mix
1 1/3 C. vegetable oil
4 eggs
1 (3oz) pkg. lime jello mix
3/4 C orange juice
1 container of cream cheese frosting
3 T. lime juice
Directions: Cake-Preheat oven to suggested temp. on cake mix box. Grease and flour a 9x13 in dish. Mix cake mix, jello mix, oil, eggs, and orange juice. Pour evenly into dish. Bake according to cake box directions. Allow to cool completely.
Frosting-Put cream cheese frosting in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 30-35 seconds. Add lime juice. Stir together. Spread on cake.

No comments: